1 lb (about 1-2 cups, it's not precise) Brussels sprouts
1 cup of radishes, stems trimmed (OPTIONAL*), cut in half
6 beets, skins on, stems trimmed
1 lb (about 1-2 cups, its not precise) of pre-sliced and cut butternut squash (trust me, buy the already prepared squash- peeling and cutting a large one is very annoying)
Rosemary (fresh or dried)
Sage (fresh or dried)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of kale, washed and removed from stems
1/2 cup of goat cheese
1/2-1 cup of pepita seeds (already shelled pumpkin seeds), found at most grocery stores
1 Ale Boule (or whole wheat baguette, pumpernickel bread, whatever bread you like)
Salt and pepper to taste
Maple Cider Vinaigrette
1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup (start with 1 and add more if you want it sweeter)
1 heaping tablespoon of whole grain mustard
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (start with 3 tablespoons, and add more per your taste. I think it needs 1/4 cup but I LOVE vinegar)
1/2-1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (start with 1/2 and go from there)
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of rosemary (dried or fresh)
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serving size- 6
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Start by prepping your vegetables. First, cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Then, slice them in half length-wise, and set aside. Next, slice your radishes in half length-wise and set aside. For your beets, wrap each one individually in tin foil, set aside. Next, take out a large sheet pan and add the brussels, radishes and squash to the pan and season with a tablespoon of olive oil, teaspoon of rosemary & sage, and salt and pepper. Toss and make sure everything is completely coated & seasoned. Place the pan in the oven on one rack, and add the tin foil wrapped beets to the bottom rack (directly on it). Roast for 30 minutes. Allow the beets to cook for another 10-15 minutes after your take the other vegetables out. Remove the beets from the oven after 40-45 minutes, and then remove the tin foil. With either paper towels or a red (you'll understand why red in a second) dish towel, simply rub the skins off the beets. They will come right off. Remember: beets stain EVERYTHING. Be very careful when you are handling beets. I would highly recommendn using a dark red or dark colored dish towel if you are using that to remove the skins. Then, cut them in quarters and set aside.
- While your vegetables are roasting, thinly slice your kale into strands. This is similar to how you would slice basil into ribbons. Roll up the kale and then slice it from the top to the bottom so it forms thin strands. Add to a large salad bowl. Then, cut up your bread into cubes and place them on another baking sheet. Season the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt & pepper and then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of maple syrup over the bread. This is going to take your croutons over the edge. The combination of the sweet syrup with the salt & olive oil is amazing. Toss the bread cubes around and then roast for 4-5 minutes or until they are crunchy on the outside, but still soft in the center and have a little golden exterior.
- Next, make your dressing. Add all of the ingredients to a mason jar and shake it up! Taste for seasonings.
- To assemble this glorious salad, top the kale with your roasted vegetables, then add the bread, the pepita seeds, some crumbled goat cheese and add some of your vinaigrette. Toss so that everything is completely combined. Garnish with more pepita seeds and goat cheese and prepare to eat the entire bowl!