1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 turnip, peeled and diced
1/2 celery root, peeled and diced
^ you can use the full vegetable of the above if you are making a larger portion, this is good for 4 people or so
Skim milk, approx 1 cup
Vegetable/chicken stock, approx 1 cup *vegetable if you want to make it vegan
1 teaspoon of ground mustard
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup of mascarpone cheese *optional if you want to make it vegan
3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese *optional if you want to make it vegan
1 pound of your favorite pasta
1-2 cups of cooked chopped chicken *optional if you want to make it vegan
1 can of string beans, rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Serving size- 4
- Take out a large saute pan with high sides and add your cauliflower, turnips, and celery root. Add enough milk + stock to cover the vegetables and a pinch of salt. Bring up to a boil, then down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or so, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt. Cook your pasta according to pasta instructions.
- Once the vegetables have softened completely add the mixture (don't add all the liquid at first, start with half and go from there) to a food processor, plus ground mustard, nutmeg, juice of 1 lemon, plus the zest (save some of the zest for garnish), and blend until completely smooth. Taste for seasonings and check for whatever consistency you like.
- Then, add the pureed sauce to the pan and bring to a low heat then add in mascarpone cheese + Parmesan and mix until melted and incorporated. Taste for seasonings.
- Once you drain your pasta, add the chicken and string beans to the pot, then add the pasta back in (save a little pasta water in case you want to thin your sauce), plus however much "cheese" sauce you like! Combine and garnish with lemon zest and enjoy!!