1 lb of orzo
1 cup of sliced red onion
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Lots of fresh dill, at least 1/4 cup
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
Extra virgin olive oil (if you want to splurge and buy nice Greek olive oil, do it for this recipe! I have a bottle and I am OBSESSED)
1 large zucchini, sliced into half moons, or however you feel like chopping it
1 English cucumber
1 - 1 1/2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed
2 cups of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup of feta cheese (more or less depending on how you like it), for garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
Serving size: 4-5 bowls, depending how big they are
Approx Time to Make: 20-30 minutes
- Start out by cooking your orzo. Cook according to package instructions, then rinse, so it doesn't stick. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Don't forget to salt your water when you boil your orzo so it's flavorful. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking prep the rest of your ingredients. Slice about 1 cup (about half a large onion) of red onion very thinly and add to a small bowl. Then add 1 teaspoon of salt, sugar, garlic, fresh dill, and the juice of 1 lemon. Add 1 cup of water and then mix it all around. You are doing a light pickle to your onion here! It's super easy and takes 10 min. You can skip this step all together if you don't feel like doing it. Let it sit for 10 minutes or as long as you like. Set aside. Drain it before you serve.
- Then, take out a pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (your good Greek olive oil if you have it), and bring to a high heat. Add the chick peas and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until they are nice and crispy. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder (1 teaspoon or so but up to you), and dill. Remove and set aside. Then, in the same pan, add a little more olive oil and saute the zucchini in the pan for 3-5 minutes. I like my zucchini a little on the hard side, so if you like it softer, cook for 5-10 minutes. Season the zucchini with salt and pepper, and then once it's cooked to your liking, set aside.
- While the chick peas and zucchini are cooking, chop the cucumber, halve your cherry tomatoes, and remove the meat from your chicken. Set it all aside. Then, add 2 cups of Greek yogurt, use about a tablespoon of your cucumber you just chopped, plus 1 teaspoon of fresh dill, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, and salt and pepper to your taste. Mix, and taste for seasonings.
- To assemble, add as much or little orzo as you like to a bowl, and then top with the rest of your ingredients! I like to drizzle more of my delicious Greek olive oil on my finished bowl with more lemon juice, fresh dill and finally feta! Enjoy!