Four 6 oz salmon fillets, or 1 whole large salmon, 20-24 oz
1/2 cup of orange juice
3 tablespoons of loy sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard
1 spaghetti squash, cut in half length wise, seeds removed
1 cup of diced onion (about half of a large onion or 1 small onion)
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup of fresh kale
1/2 cup of fresh swiss chard
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of white wine
1 cup of low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon of parsley
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese **optional
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Serving size: 4
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Start out by marinating your salmon. Put your fillets or whole piece of fish in a zip loc bag, or large bowl, and add in the orange juice, soy sauce, and whole grain mustard. Mix around until the salmon is completely coated. Let marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Next, get your spaghetti squash ready. Cut it in half length wise (you can microwave it for 5 minutes so it softens a bit and is easier to cut), remove the seeds in the center with a spoon and place on a baking sheet. Season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and place on the baking sheet flesh side side. Roast for 20-30 minutes. You can put the salmon in at the same time here, but take out the salmon at 15 minutes and see if it's done.
- Now, time to make the sauce! Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a saute pan, and bring to a medium to low heat. Add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Then add in the tomatoes, kale, Swiss chard, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until everything has softened and the tomatoes released some of their liquid. Then, add in the white wine, chicken stock, and lemon. Season with more salt and pepper. Bring this mixture up to a boil, and let the liquid reduced by about half. (about 3-5 minutes). Then, add in the whole grain mustard and parsley and taste for seasonings. Sprinkle in a little Parmesan cheese here if you so choose with the heat off (if you like your sauce a little thicker, mix together 1 teaspoon of corn starch with 1 teaspoon of water, and add to the sauce, before adding in the cheese & parsely).
- To assemble, shred the spaghetti squash with two forks until it forms spaghetti-like strands and then add to a big bowl. Add half of your sauce to the squash and combine. Top with your salmon pieces, more sauce, Parmesan cheese & fresh parsley and enjoy!