1 lb of ground turkey
1 bunch of green onions (they come in bunches in the grocery store), diced
1 tablespoon of minced jalapeno (about half), seeds removed
1 egg white
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of tarragon
1 teaspoon of turmeric
2 teaspoons of fresh or dried dill
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup or so of halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup of so of chopped cucumber
Extra virgin olive oil
Butter lettuce (or romaine, or ice burg, whatever you prefer)
1 cup of Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons of feta cheese
Pita (or pita pockets)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Next, make your turkey patties for the gyro. In a large bowl add the ground turkey, about 1/4 cup of the chopped green onion (you can go more or less depending on your taste), jalapeno, egg white, juice and zest of 1 lemon (if it's not a super juicy lemon, add half of another one), and 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Combine. Then, form your mixture into patties. I made mine on the smaller side so I can fit them in the pita, but totally up to you. Add to a baking sheet and cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until they are completely cooked through. Since they are small, they do not take long at all.
- While the patties are cooking, make your relish. Add the chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, 1/2 cup of the chopped green onion, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of dill, drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl and mix. Taste for seasonings and set aside.
- Next, make the Greek yogurt sauce, which is simply 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of feta cheese (or more if you like), tablespoon or so of fresh lemon juice (again, or more if you like it lemony) salt, pepper, and mix! I added dill to this mixture as well, but totally optional! Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Warm up the pita so it's pliable and easy to use. Then, assemble! Put the warm pita down first (if it's a pita pocket then add the following into the pocket), then your Greek yogurt sauce, then the patties (2-3 is good), then the lettuce, then the relish, and top with more green onions, fresh lemon, and feta and enjoy!