Serves 6 | Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
1. First, clean your leeks. Slice the leeks into small rings and add to a big bowl of water. Let sit for 5 minutes and move them around with your hands to make sure there is no dirt left in between. Rinse and dry.
2. Take out a large pot and add 3 tablespoons of butter, bring the pot to a medium heat and add the leeks, plus 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme and a pinch of salt. Cook the leeks until softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and the broth, season with more salt and bring the mixture up to a boil, then down to a simmer and cook until the potatoes have completely softened, about 30 minutes.
4. While the soup is simmering, make your crispy shallots. Peel and slice your shallots into thin slices and then form rings. Add the shallots to a bowl with 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt, paprika and pepper. Dredge and then shake off any excess. Add 1-2 cups of canola oil to a cast iron skillet, enough to cover the bottom of the pan and then about an inch above, and bring to a high heat. Cook the shallots until golden brown, and then place on a paper towel to release any excess oil. Season with a pinch of salt while they are still hot. Set aside.
5. Once the potatoes are fork tender, transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Finish with 1/4 cup of heavy cream, fresh thyme, and taste for seasonings. Finish with your crispy shallots and enjoy!