Pie Crust (OPTIONAL)-
1 1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
Pinch of sugar
1 stick of cold butter, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons ice water
1 teaspoon of butter
1 shallot, diced
2 cups of spinach (frozen or fresh whatever you have), or any leafy green
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1/2 cup of Gruyere cheese, grated
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup of ricotta
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of fresh thyme
Serving size- 5-6
Approx time to make- 1.5 hours
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- If you are making your own pie crust, do so now. If you are not, ignore this next step. In a food processor, add flour, salt, sugar and butter and pulse until the butter looks like little peas incorporated throughout. Then, add ice water and pulse until the dough is crumbly, but holds together. You can add more water if you think the dough seems dry. Remove the dough from the food processor and sprinkle flour dough on a clean surface. Form the dough into a ball, then wrap up with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 30 min to an hour.
- While the dough is resting, make your filling. Take out a saute pan and add 1 teaspoon of butter or olive oil. Add the shallot and spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shallots have softened and the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and let cool. Once cooled, ring out any excess water. Then in a large bowl add the eggs, milk/cream, Gruyere and Parmesan cheese and whisk. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and fresh thyme. Set aside.
- Once the pie crust has rested, take it out of the fridge and sprinkle more flour down on a clean surface. Roll out the dough so that its large enough to fit in a 9 inch pie dish (it should hang over the edges to ensure you have enough to cover the dish). Then, carefully fit the dough to the bottom and sides of the pie dish. Crimp the dough so it molds into the crevices of the pie dish. Bake the pie crust for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Once the pie crust come out of the oven, add the egg mixture to the pie dish and top with dollops of ricotta. Carefully place the quiche in the center rack of the oven, and bake until the center of the quiche is just set, about 1 hour. Let the quiche stand 15-20 minutes before serving and enjoy!